HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Considering reloading
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Soilarch

Default RE: Considering reloading

Unless you shoot an old trapdoor 45-70 I'd do homework on what all is possible with that caliber when you reload for it!!!! THAT will be enough incentive to start reloading. (I started to get the most out of my Single Action Ruger .44 mag...[read: overbuilt tank of a .44 mag] And the advantages I say are dismal compared to that of the 45-70 handloader!

I got the hand press "kit" from lee. I'm still low volume and all I'll ever need in a press unless I start shooting some real volume. I can give a full heart recommendation for that. They (Lee) make "carbide" dies for straight wall pistol calibers...they may do the same for 45-70 if they do get it. For the 7mm I'd look at RCBS, I've not been impressed with my 22-250 die from Lee.

Stuff I got outside of the kit
Scales
Caliper
Manuals/Books
Case Trimmer (You'll need this for those chamberings...don't try to go without it like I did at first)
Powder trickler
Bullet puller...the hammer style is what I have...scares the bejebbies out of me but you will mess some stuff up so you'll need it
Dies
Components

(Make sure the "kit" has the primer adapter, if not you'll need a way to prime the cases)

It'll be a long time until you see the money saving...unless you shoot a lot of expensive calipers that are only expensive because of lack of demand in the market (Like my 41mag...I can load for 1/3 or 1/4 of the price of factory stuff here in the stores...if I can find 'em) That's why I say to find a different motivator. OOOHHH, the possibilities, frustrations and joys of the HANDLOADER!!!!! lol