HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .17 sold,HORTON CROSSBOW sold
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 07:53 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default RE: .17 sold,HORTON CROSSBOW sold

I wouldnt mind having a .17, but persoanlly I'm not too hot on the HMR...
it looks fancy, and I hear it shoots pretty good,buta rimfire is a rimfire is a rimfire IMO and if I were going to put my time/resources in a .17 it would be a CF, something I could play around with and work some loads up for, I'd probably go with something like the .17 fireball

I little off topic but kind of neat...
theres a guy I work with once in a while on different jobs thats BIG into guns, reloading,wildcat rounds, and gun making... years ago when I was big into handloading myself I got into a pretty indepth discussion with him and he brought me a baggy with about 20 different wildcats in it that he had put together over the years, some kind of outragous that obviously wouldnt(and didnt) work too good, like a .22-250 necked down to .17... some were pretty ingenious, like a couple automatic pistol rounds necked down to .17-.22(with guns built for them)

the one that really stood out for me though was a .25 auto pistol round necked down to a .14 cal. bullet, before that I had never even heard of a .14cal. bullet, but they make them, they're .145 inch and weigh 12.5 gr.(I just dug one out and checked)

I wanted to builda gun setup for that roundbad(and still do) and I had pretty much everything planned... he had a gun built that was based off a pistol action and saideven thatwas super quite and super accurate out to around 100-150 yards, but I later researched and discovered that the .22mag rimfire and .25 auto have the same head dia. and the .25 willchamber in the .22mag action, I also found an outfit that did conversionsthatturnedthe .22mag boltinto a centerfire, andhe was going to help me get setup with all the dies and various stuff I needed to build it(he already had them)but kids, life, and everything else got in the way and I never did followed through with it...

I lost all that info over time but it would still be a neat little round to have, I doubt theres many of them around...