HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need help with 12 ga slugs!
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 02:50 PM
358WINMAN

Default RE: Need help with 12 ga slugs!

Guys,
Thanks for the feedback from all of you. I have learned many years ago to accept criticism whether I like it or not!
To the Rifleman: The gun is a 12ga Remington 870 Wingmaster with a 24" Hastings rifled slug barrel. The scope was a Tasco 3-9 I put on years ago. This combo has shot super groups out to 100 yds religeously. My last batch of slugs were the Lightfield Hybrids 2 3/4" slugs. These were deadly accurate out to 100. I could put 3 slugs in a pack og cigarettes at 100 yds all day. The only problem was that the Lightfields kept breaking apart when hitting bone. Too many times I had to track a deer after a good shot only to need a followup shot. After the butchering/autposy process, I recovered my slugs- they were in several pieces! The breakup of the lead in my opinion led to the failure of consistant penetration and exiting. So, I made a switch to SST's based on recomendations from shooting aquaintances. They shot well and were sighted in for 2" high at 100yds. They shot well at 100yds but an occassional flyer would present itself. I thought it might be me, so I left it alone. Not so anymore. I even swicthed the scope last night to a new Nikon 3x9x40 to ensure that the reticle and internals are fresh and reliable.
Now, as soon as time allows( this coming weekend), I will test the new slugs and post the results for those of you who offered your slug recipes.
As for my yearly shooting Rifleman, I've spent more time at the range and reloading bench than many, many other hunters. I qualified as distinguished expert and shot counter sniper for two years. I feel that I'm qualified to judge my shooting skills as above average and was only asking for SST slug occurances from fellow hunter/shooters to see if they too had similar experiences.
I appreciate your input and wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as to all of you other visitors here on HN.
Thanks all for your advice on the slugs!!!