HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need help with 12 ga slugs!
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need help with 12 ga slugs!

A little hard on him Rifleman when he was asking for help.[/b]
358 I use the partition Gold Winchesters with great results out of my Ithica 37 deer slayer with a Leopold 1-4x shotgun scope. I too sight in 2" high at 50 yds and am usually right on at 100. I like the premium shells for the 1900 feet per second velocity and feel it helps due to flatter shooting and harder hitting loads. I haven't found them to fly and the load is a good one. Rifleman if I had to settle for a 4" group at 50 yardsI would quit hunting. 358 If I were to try something else I would go with the Federal Barnes Expanders. I use Barnes Expander bullets in my 50 cal ML and they really put a hurt on the deer and are very accurate. This year in my 06 I switched from Federal Vital Shok Nosler Partition 180 gr bullets to the Federal Vital Shok 180 Barnes TSX. My groups at 100 were smaller out of my Ruger 77 UL and I feel the bullet was devastating on the elk and 8 point I killed with that load this year. Both dropped like a stone. It appears Barnes has a great bullet and the slug loads might be great too. Let us know how the different shells do for you. Part of what is good with this site is to learn from each other not criticize. Thanks for your post 358.