HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Good Low light scope
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 11:37 PM
spd522

Default Good Low light scope

I am considering updating the scope on my M700 in 300 WinMag. Currently I have a VX-111 in 4.5x14.
It works just fine in bright light but in low light hunting conditions, it is quite dark and grainy.

Most of my hunting is whitetailsover hay fields where a 450 yard shot isn't uncommon.I don't have problems in good light but
early morning or sundown gives me fits. I also occasionally head west for antelope, mulies, and elk. Most of the terrain I hunt is wide open. I use a different rifle if I hunt timber or close range.

I have decided on a few changes. I want a 30mm tube. I want an increase to at least 18 power on the top
end. I want at least a 50mm objective. And I wanta Mil-Dot reticle.

All of this and stay under $1000.

So far, it seems to have narrowed down to a Burris Black Diamond or Pentax Lightseeker 30, both 6x24x50. Little things I have read seem to indicate they are basically built by the same folks.

Anyone have experience or suggestions regarding either of these two scopes? Or on some other scopes I have overlooked. If price was no object, I know it would open up the contenders quite a bit.

Thanks