HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ATTENTION PA HUNTERS
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 03:04 PM
just curious

Default RE: ATTENTION PA HUNTERS

my dad used to own a camp right down the road from this farm. a couple of years ago i hunted this game lands. i counted 45 cars on my drive in one sat. there were deer and shots flying everywhere. by the end of the two week season i was a nervous wreck. it was the worst hunting season i ever had, i didn't enjoy my time in the woods at all, and i have never been back ther since. i'm glad i'm out of the area after hearing this.

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Just remember, I saw at least a dozen people shoot deer and then not tag them. I saw at aleast 11 people road hunt a deer out of that group. I saw two people that shot spikes and then said either that they were senior citizens and didn't have to abide by the antler restrictions or that they had children under the age of 12 with them that shot the deer and that it was legal. Only I never saw the kids.

Isn't it amazing how the same guys who can't manage to see more than a deer or two all season all seem to have these stories about mass slaughter right under their noses

One farmer in my area shot over 120 deer in one year- next to the PA gamelands because he felt that they were cutting into his crop production.
I challenge you to name the farm, the locationand the adjoining game lands
The farm is owned by the London family and is located in a area know as Burkett Hollow.

Londons, Burketts and Horners are all neighbors and are all related by marriage. They all own hundreds of acres of land in that area.

The State Gamelands is known as 31, the road is called Harringer / Eterline road. Don't ask about the proper spelling.

The story was confirmed by the Jefferson County Adult Probation Officer - Larry Stratiff - you can call him over at the Jefferson County Courthouse and ask him if you wish.

There is a big difference between baiting - using food to entice a deer onto your property for the purpose of shooting it and hunting in the BIG WOODS.

None of their farms are posted and you are welcome to go there and hunt all you want - as long as you ask for permission.

The second day of rifle season I believe, there was afarmer waiting at the mailbox at the end oftheir lane and there was a doe standing at the mailbox on the other side of the road and there were a couple of does not 1/8 of a mile down the road from that mailbox. But you cannot shoot within 150 yards of any occupied house or building without the permission of the occupants. Which means you cannot hunt around the house.

Take 1575 acres and then figure the other 2000 acres of land around the game lands and divide that by 100 deer, that is only a deer density of about 1 deer per 375 acres - before the slaughter. Now you kill 100 deer and the woods looks pretty empty.

I saw plenty of deer on posted ground other placesright next to the game lands, just that you cannot get permission to hunt on that property, the deer are not dumb.

I believe that the name on one ofthe posted sign's was Brian Smith. There are as many Smiths in the Punxsy area as there are in all of Indiana County.

If they go in there and nobody bothers them, they can come and go as they please and will not go into the game lands unless pressured.

Would you go someplace where there is nothing for you to eat and hunters that will shoot at you if you go there? Neither will they!