HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Density Question
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 11:40 AM
waiting_for_a_gift

Default RE: Deer Density Question

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

What would you consider a good deer density for forested land with no agriculture and pretty cold winters?

I just read that Anticosti Island has a density of 55 deer per square mile in some areas. This is supposed to be one of the premier whitetail hunting spots in North America. Why is it OK for a 55 dsm there when we're supposed to be going for a fraction of that where we hunt?
For northern forested range, the discussion is usually defined by "overwintering carrying capacity". There should be a big difference in pre-hunt deer density and over winter density. Typical numbers for WI are less than 20 for over winter. IMO the goal should be less than 10 for most areas in northern WI.

55 deer per square mile sounds very high for that type of range, but I'm really not familiar with the area. It is likely that Anticosti receives high rainfall amounts, and it is also likely that some areas are intensively managed for deer habitat / browse. Perhaps the number is realistic.

For PA, it is my understanding that much of the habitat is severely degraded from overpopulation. In that case, extremely low population goals (<10 deer / sq mi) should result in habitat recovery and increased herd health / productivity.