HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - M77 Hawkeye all weather in .280 rem.
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Solitary Man
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: M77 Hawkeye all weather in .280 rem.

The stock is injection molded plastic I'm pretty sure. It doesn't compareto aMcMillan or some other expensive aftermarket synthetic stock, but it's not too bad. I like the dimensions of it and how it feels.

As far as theaction is concerned, well, it'snot the smoothest I've ever operated, but I'm kind of spoiled in that regard since I own Sakos and pre-'64 model 70's. However, it's considerablysmoother thanthe previousRuger 77 I owned before. The trigger is an improvement over the older design also, though here again it's not in the same league as some of my other guns. I'm going to take it to a smith after the season and have him lighten it up a bit.

Bottom line is: When I bought this gun for my sonI didn't expect it to be as nice as my other riflesandfor the most part it'snot. However, I've been pleasantly surprised with how well it operates and shoots. In fact I keep telling my son that as soon as he's old enough to shoot some of mybigger rifles I'mgoing to confiscate the Ruger and use it myself.