HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Trigger question
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 02:37 AM
dmurphy317
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trigger question

I did the same adjustment your talking about on my M70. Before you go to the range I would suggest you try it "dry firing" as you make the adjustments. When you get it close to where you like it, put the gun back together, do not load it, close the bolt and take it off safety. Then try bouncing the butt on a hard surface (like a concrete floor) to see if the gun will fire without pulling the trigger. Start off medium and then bounce it a bit harder until you are satisfied it is safe. The last thing you want to have happen is to be at the range and the gun go off when you close the bolt or when you flip the safety off. Remember to always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. I've had one of my bolt guns go off when I closed the bolt even though the safety was on, I had to tighen that trigger back up a bit to fix that.

Also, you can help smooth out the sear bearing surface by putting some powdered graphite or moly on the mating surfaces and firing the action a number of times. Just be careful because just doing that can lighten the trigger pull, sometimes significantly. On one of my guns it cut the trigger pull in half.

Good luck and be careful.