HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Trigger question
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 12:25 PM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Trigger question

ORIGINAL: carpsniper

I've got a Winchester model 70 that has a very heavy trigger. I'm no gunsmith, but what I lack in mechanical aptitude I make up for with experience. However I never worked on a trigger before.

There is a spring held in place with two jam nuts that seems to be for tension. I backed these down almost as far as I could and it did seem to help. I would like to know if this is correct before I take it to the range.

The sear does look a little rough (macine marks), but I don't want to mess with it if I don't have to.
The Model 70trigger is relatively simple. I believe most people can pretty much figure out how it works just by watching it function when the barreled action is out of the stock and pulling the trigger. It does not harm a Model 70 to dry-fire it, so you can do that after putting it back together and trying it before you go back to the range. If backing the trigger return spring nuts off as far as you can does not lighten it enough, you may have to consider removinghalf a coil or a full coil from the trigger return spring. This is a last resort, however......
Check out this article.

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/win70trigger.html