HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Click! (I need a new gun!!!)
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 07:27 PM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Click! (I need a new gun!!!)

ORIGINAL: driftrider

I don't think you NEED a new gun...you just got unlucky, or maybe a little careless. If you got moisture on the rifle during your fall, the best thing to do is wipe off as much moisture as possible and then CHANGE THE CAP/PRIMER. Just takes a tiny drop of water to inert a primer. Also, did you snap a primer or two before you loaded the rifle to clear any oil, moisture or crud from the flashhole? If it wasn't the moisture contamination from your fall, then it sounds like a clogged flashhole is the culprit.

Chalk it up to a hard lesson learned. I bet you won't make that same mistake again.

Mike
I second this. Generally, when a caplock rifle, inline of sidelock, fails to fire, but the primer did, it is due to there being something in the flash channel that diverts or blocks the primer flame. If the primer failed to fire, it very easioy might have if you had just recocked the gun and tried it gain, as Cayugad suggested. Sometimes a primer is not fully seated, and the srtiker blow is partially absorbed by re-seating the primer, and it does not hit hard enough to fire it the first time. Your fall could have contributed to this.

If one is hunting in conditions which can permit the primer,cap and nipple to get wet, it is a simple matter to wrap a strip of kitchen plastic wrap around the lock section to keep water out. Most guns can be fired without having to even remove this stuff first, especially if you have a scope on the gun so the wrapping is not blocking your sighting equipment..