HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ballistics Help
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 06:16 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ballistics Help

ORIGINAL: FiremanE4

Ok so I am new to the world of deer hunting and am currently using the 30-30 that I already had. I am already looking to get a 30-06 but I will finish the season out with my 30-30. That being said Im currently just using the Winchester 170grain rounds but was curious what I could go to that might do a little more damage. I looked at the accelarators the other day but I hate to admit that in reality its all frech to me (and Im not French)
Any Help would be appreciated. Also where I hunt Im really not making shots over 150 yards. I have taken 2 with this rifle but I want to KNOW that I hit them. I shot at one the other day but it didnt appear that I hit it and yet I dont know HOW i could have missed. The last one I shot I knew I hit but it ran quite a distance and blood was really scarce and hard to pick up at times. I know its shot placement, just looking to see if there is a better round out there. Thanks!!
For whitetail deer, the 150-grain bullet is quite heavy enough, and at the slightly higher speeds it attains, will do more damageto lightly constructed animals. But the 170-grain has better penetration capabilities for use on heavier stuff like black bears. The 170 will also drop deer, but it may take longer for them to hit the ground! Bullet placement is all-important for the .30/30 (and any other round!!). Forget those "accelerator" bullets. Even if they shoot well in your gun, they are made to blow up on critters as light as a crow. So I would not expect them to penetrate well enough to kill deer.

Actually, for shooting up to 150-200 yards, the .30/30 is quite capable. The main problem I see with many .30/30's is that they have poor sights, and that makes it harder to put the bullet exactly where it needs to go.

Put a low-powered scope or at least a good aperture sight on it!