HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - PRB ballistic coefficient?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 02:47 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: PRB ballistic coefficient?

ORIGINAL: cherokee75

How about the BC of a 350 grain Maxi-hunter?
I really do not know the BC of a Maxi-Hunter. All I can tell you about them is even with a moderate powder charge, they hit and do MASSIVE damage. I have a friend that hunts with them out of an old T/C Hawkins rifle. He shoots 70 grains of powder. When he brings in a deer, the wound is always hard to believe it is made by just that small amount of lead. I asked him once why he uses them because they really do tear some massive wound channels. He said they are very accurate and he has never had to track a deer with them.

If they are accurate for you, and you want to plant a deer, then by all means use them. If you want to drop them on the spot, then aim for the shoulder bone. It will shatter that thing...

I do not use them personally. Years ago, I used to shoot a Buffalo Bullet 426 grain conical with a small hollow point tip. I shot a large buck one year with one, and had to almost throw away both front shoulders. Granted I liked the knock down, but I am meat greedy.So I gave up on the hollow point conicals for deer.