HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to Treestand...
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 10:27 AM
allegiance21

Default RE: New to Treestand...

Ladder stands take the longest to set up, IMO are by far the loudest, are the heaviest, and usually need two people to set up. Hang ons take a little getting used to. You need a good set of climbing sticks (lone wolfs are my favorite, but expensive, and if you get them you need 4 sticks). You absolutely must get used to using a lineman's belt when you hang a hang on stand. That frees up both your arms, and makes setting up the sticks and stand much quicker, safer, and easier. Climbers are the most versatile in my opinion. I use a summit viper and I can be up the tree and ready to hunt with bow in hand in about 5 minutes because I've been using climbers now for about 7 or 8 years. I feel extremely safe while climbing and sitting in that stand. But, whether youhunt private or public land could definitely influence your decision. I hunt public land so i have a climber and two hang on stands. I used to own a ladder stand. It was the first stand i bought. I sold it 2 years after I bought it because it's way too heavy to lug around. Then, I boughtan Ol' man climber stand and realized my type of hunting was geared towards these stands. I coul always find a tree to use it in. sometimes pruning is necessary, but it works out. I sold that stand eventually after I upgraded to the summit. I have 2 hang ons at the moment also. I just previously bought the lone wolf alpha hang on w/ the lone wolf sticks. I have found out after setting it up several times I will never be up a tree as fast as i will with the summit, but after using it many times my set up time will decrease. also with the hang on i can get into trees with branches i couldn't otherwise get into. Climbers are the easiest to use all around, i think.