HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 22-250 for deer hunting
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 09:56 AM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: 22-250 for deer hunting

I've heard of that happening to people. (arrow not exiting or passing completely through) If the arrow doesn't go all the way through, you'regoing to have blood trail issues, since the arrow itself isrestricting the flow of blood through the wounds.

It shouldn't happen, though, really. If you're at a reasonable distance and shooting sharp broadheads with a tuned bow, that arrow should go right through the ribs. I've had arrows go through and continue on to bury themselves 8" into the ground and I don't shoot heavy draw weights. I've also had arrows that *didn't* pass through turkeys, though. (which is often times better when hunting turkeys, but that's a different matter.) Found out that my bow wasn't tuned and the arrows were coming out slightly off-kilter, which saps a great deal of their momentum upon impact. Think of it like a drinking straw. If you hold your thumb over one end and jab it hard into a potato at a right angle, it will go all the way through. But if you were hitting it at less than a right angle, it'll bend/fold up and there's no way it goes through. The force needs to be directly behind (in line with) the tip. If the tip is off to one side of where the back (where the force is coming from) you're going to have problems.