HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 22-250 for deer hunting
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 08:44 AM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: 22-250 for deer hunting

ORIGINAL: Slow Burn

That being said, it is very difficult to believe that people will believe that the .223 or the .22-250 are incapable of efficently taking deer sized game when they will advocate bow hunting. Now, someone will want to talk ballistics, Sectional Densities and Ballistic Coeffients. Ok, compare your compound bow to the .223 or the .22-250. I am also a bowhunter, so don't think I am degrading archers. I personally think there is nothing wrong with the .223 or .22-250.
What's difficult to believe is that people don't realize bullets and arrows are designed to do completely different things. The object of the bullet is to penetrate, then expand and deliver shock (by transferring energy) to the animal. Arrows are supposed to pass through the animal. They kill by cutting as they go through, causing the lungs to collapse and/or the animal to bleed out quickly. That's why it's key to have broadheads razor sharp. A compound bow will deliver an arrow THROUGH a metal bucket filled with sand, whereas a .30 caliber bullet will stop inside the bucket.

So yeah, I'd feel much better about my chances of killing -and tracking- a deer hit through the lungs with a good broadhead than I would one hit in the same spot with a 223. The broadhead exit hole is going to leave a bloodtrail a mile wide. A 223 with fmj is going to punch a tiny little hole that will likely not bleed all that much.

This is also why fmj bullets are not legal for hunting in some areas.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with a 223 or 22-250, either - depending on what they're used for. I just don't think they are a good choice for deer or other big game.