HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Truth on Antler Scores.
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 07:05 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Truth on Antler Scores.

I agree 100%, hunting is what we as individuals make it to be and it gets cheapened when we lose sight of this fact. I have always believed competition is between the hunter and quarry (whatever that may entail)...it should be a personal quest nothing more.IMHO,if hunter is proud of their harvest thats all that matters. I am extremely happy for them and share in their joy, asI can relate.

I guess you could say I am on the other side in that I amlumped into a "trophy" hunter group, being score is one criteria in my standards. Though it certainly isn't the only factor either. I enjoy the meat, venison is our preference for red meat. I believe wholeheartily in management and harvesting females for herd health. Maturity is something I personally look at when chasing bucks. I find it more rewarding/challenge personally to pursue mature bucks. I love the outdoors and nature in general, cherishing every moment I spend enjoying it. I spend far mor time scouting and preparing then hunting itself. It is an obsession no doubt but its a love and can't image ever wanting it to be anything less. I have went through many stages of deer hunting and will say the life as a "horn" hunter can be a lonely one. The stage I am in now is simply enjoy all that hunting gives me, if I harvest something bonus. Notching a tag isn't the be all/end all for me anymore andI'm loving it. Funny thing is I have been more successful in the tagging department since I stopped obsessing over the end result and just living in the moments.