HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Truth on Antler Scores.
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 07:02 PM
JagMagMan
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Truth on Antler Scores.

A trophy is a trophy in the eye of the beholder! Any legal deer can be a trophy. That said, when measuring up bucks I believe there are many things that can go into the formula. Region, not all are the same! Is it a better than average buck for your area?
Money, throw out the super high dollar, high fence. Even with those out of the picture, some people pay more for better managed areas.
I like measuring deer and I have nothing against scoring systems, but I don't think that its as important as some make it to be!
Where I hunt, a very good buck will be 120 tops! Are there any 150's killed? Sure there are! Mostly on better managed land.If Iwere to say "I'm not going to shoot anything less than a 140"! I'd be eating a lot of "tag soup" for several years.
The average East Tex lease is about 400.00 with at most 100 acres per hunter. Western parts of the state and especially South Tex, 1500.00 is a bargain! Many places are 3000.00+, and have 1 hunter per 300 acres! Plus better habitat and management!
So, a 115 B&C for a fraction of the cost ofa 135-140 B&C. Bottom line is that if you can afford it, or you are just blessed with a very good region, I'm happy for you! Just don't look down on others that cannot, or choose not to pay the price!