HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to use a Powerbelt Bullet Correctly
Old 12-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Semisane
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How to use a Powerbelt Bullet Correctly

Good post Gander. I've never used Powerbelts and probably never will - just like my Gold Bonds. But if I ever did have occasion to use PBs I would certainly listen to the voice of experience and use your recommended load. The manufacturer should copy your post and package it with their bullets.

Little story here: We had a new guy in camp this year who hadn't hunted with his CVA magbolt in four or five years, and had never killed a deer with it. On the range before the season I was watching him sight in. He dropped three Pyrodex pellets then a 245 PB down the barrel. He then proceeded to bounce his ramrod as hard as he could on top of the loaded bullet abour a half dozen times. He was shooting a nice eight inch group at fifty yards. After a while I asked him why he was loading the way he did and he said "that's the way 'they' told me to". I suggested he try two pellets and seat the bullet firmly - no bouncing rod. He did, and was amazed at theaccuracy he got.Killed a nice doe at 60 yards two weeks later. Some guys just don't know - gotta' help them along.