HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .270 Ammunition
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 PM
kmunny19
Fork Horn

Default RE: .270 Ammunition

ORIGINAL: hobie11

yeah try them both if possible because one or both may work well in your rifle and they are both bonded bullets so your gonna get about the same performance out of both on an animal. Ive never shot either of these bonded bullets but i have shot the remington premier with the swift scirocco 130 gr out of my .270 and it worked quite well but they have a little more penetration than i like on whitetail, shot a deer in the chest with one and the bullet exited its back and the exit hole was not more than a half inch.
definitely try different ones out, each rifle is different and has a favorite ammo. I have done LOTS of reaearch on this caliber and factory cartridge options and would suggest you add 130 gr swift scirocco's (remington) to the list. they shoot flatter than the others. however, the 140 gr accubond still have a nicely flat trajectory and a little more energy than the scirocco's. I know energy isn't everything, but a bullet that has more energy and higher weight should have more knockdown power theoretically. I currently use the sciroccos, and like them, but when they run out i'm going to try out the accubonds. if they are as accurate or moreso, I'll try them and see what they do to the insides if I'm luck enough to get a shot.

as far as the quoted post about penetration...What was the internal damage like? if your's work like mine have, itentered, expanded quickly and was extremely violent inside, then tapered down after full expansion, leaving a less impressive exit wound.