HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to Hunting...
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 06:36 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New to Hunting...

ORIGINAL: speyrjb

My advice would be to buy the best equipment you can afford and practice practice practice.

What is your maximum budget for a rifle / scope?
Welcome!

I agree with this gentleman's advice. I think a real good buy for the money is the Weatherby Vanguard. Weatherby guarantees the accuracy, and they are not priced outrageously. Next, I would recommend buying the best scope you can afford. Some of the older, high-quality scopes that you can get from EBay are a better deal than some of the lower-priced new ones. I am speaking specifically of the older Bausch & Lombs, Bushnell Scopechiefs, Lyman All-Americans with Perma-Centered reticles, the steel-tube Weaver K models in the "B" series, older Redfields, or even old Leupolds. I use a lot of such scopes, and theyoften function BETTER than stuff like Tasco, Simmons, etc. If you can afford it, get a Leupold.Variables are "nice to have" items, but are NOT NECESSARY! For example, I have an old Leupold 7.5X fixed power on my 6mm/.284, and a Kahles Helia 6X on my 7mm Rem. Mag. These rigs work at all ranges from 50 yards to 500.........