HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30-06 load
Thread: 30-06 load
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 08:00 AM
The Rifleman

Default RE: 30-06 load

I have two Remington Gamemasters that are sighted in for 165 gr Sierra's.

I have used them with good results on whitetail deer in Pennsylvania - out to a range of 150 yards.

I felt that there was a compeditive advantage to using a 165 gr bullet over a 150 gr bullet. But I am probably wrong. The truth is that 15 gr's of weight is not all that much and that the added expense really doesn't justify the cost.

The performance level of the 180 gr bullets is even better, but I would only consider using them for Bears and not for deer due to the fact that there is more recoil and less range with the 180 compared to the 150 gr load.

You also have to remember that Hodgkins powder does not interchange with IMR. The Hodgkins powder is much more powerful and could cause damage to your firearm if you try to load it too hot.

Everyone has made a good point about not using a target bullet for hunting purposes and they are right. Just because you got lucky a couple of times and actually killed a deer with target bullets -does not mean that they were designed for hunting purposes or that they are the best choice for what you want to do.

I would give you my reloading information in private - if you wanted to try it. But I would not publish in on the internet for anyone and their brother to read - due to liability issues.