HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bullet selection for my Daugters CVA Mag Bolt for whitetails.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:50 AM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet selection for my Daugters CVA Mag Bolt for whitetails.

ORIGINAL: bowbender6

Looking for your thoughts on bullets for my daughters gun. She is 23 but I don’t want something that she will have trouble stuffing down the barrel. I have a lot of bullets to try. I have a lot of power belts and they load easy and group okay. Probably her shot will not be over 75 yards. I was shooting 100gr T7 but backed it down after reading here that sometimes the powerbelts fragment when pushed to fast. What’s a good choice of load to try with XTP pistol bullets?
70g of 777 with a 250g XTP Mag is a nice light load (I like the Mag, they are tougher on bone). I shot the 300ga couple of years ago in my FL and it was very accurate to 50 yard with a TC Flintlock.

I don't know if you would consider another rifle, but there is a lady on this forum (Doegirl)and Doug's Savage Forum that shoots a Savage 10ML2 . With 5744 at 44g with a 250g bullet, it is about like shooting a .243, very nicelighter load. You could go down to 41g of 5744 and still get good power and accuracy. Also shoot a 200g XTP or SW with 41g of 5744 and have a very light shooting gun that wouldl give excellent terminal performance.
Chap Gleason