HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Doctor Deaths first season in Kentucky (hunting diary)
Old 12-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Doctor Deaths first season in Kentucky (hunting diary)

Not too bad so far Scott. I got a decent bull elk in Colorado on a DIY elk hunt with 2 of my best buds. We went 2 for 3 andcould have all scored but one 6X6 ducked back into the dark timber before we could administer some lead poisoning. I got an 8 here on the Island after spending 4 days at my camp a couple of hours awayand only seeing one deer which was another 8 and I missed. I just returned from southern Ohio near the Kentucky border. We were hunting some private land and the request was that we limit our bucks to 125" or more to promote future trophy hunting. I saw about 10 deer on an average each day while still hunting and passed on a decent 8 that probably wouldn't have made the cut off but was close. We saw 2 booners that week but couldn't get a crack at either one. EHD is taking quite a few there and I hope next year they don't have that happen. The land was really beautiful to hunt and we had access to an amazing chunk of land that was thousands of rugged acres. It probably was a one time deal but we are hopeful that we can get back there again since wemade some local friends. ML season is going on now in Vt and I will probably get out there tomorrow as soon as I get all my gear put away from Ohio and catch up around here. We have about a foot of snow and the deer are gathering for the winter so tracking will work out well. A couple of weeks from now I'll be in the beginning of my true passion ice fishing which will keep me pretty busy every day until April.