HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The bad rap on Ballistic Tips
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 02:53 PM
jorkep

Default RE: The bad rap on Ballistic Tips

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Despite all the talk about thickening the jacket and making them tougher I still think they are too fragile, especially at magnum speeds or on close range shots.
I guess that is why I am able to drive the 180gr ballistic tips through both shoulders of a mature elk with my 300 ultramag.
Stubble,

You are so quick to state your experiences but if anyone has an experience that contradicts yours you discount it. Why should I believe your experience over my first hand knowledge?

I don't like ballistic tips for anything other than varmints. I'm not talking about accubonds, and SST's etc. I'm talking about the Nosler ballistic tip bullets.

I shot a doe a few years back with my 280 loaded with 140gr ballistic tips at 50 yards and the things splashed oncontact. I actually watched an intact lung hang out of the rib cage. The hole was probably 4 inches in diameter. I tract the doe and finished her off. But the results were less than satisfactory. I've never used ballistic tips for anything other than varmint rounds since.

It is quite possible that they have improved the technology since the first days (this was probably 10 years ago). But I've never had a failure with my Sierra gamekings, or Nosler Partitions so I won't be experimenting again anytime soon.
these stories are always good reading.