HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting for a career?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 07:51 AM
quiksilver
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting for a career?

When I was in college, my buddy and I had a pretty solid turkey guiding business going. Not enough dough to make a livingbut god was it fun. We sunk so much time and effort into it, I have no idea how we ever graduated. I'd swear, I knew every roost within 20 miles of State College and Westmoreland County.

It was tough at first, b/c really - who trusts a 19 year old kid to "guide" you to your first trophy tom. LOL We got customers mostly through referral and our pricing system (no kill, no pay).

I think we spent every penny we ever made on wild women and gasoline. Undoubtedly, the best "job" I ever had. Even on days when we didn't have anyone slotted in, I couldn't wait for that alarm to go off at 5:00 and hit the pavement just to nail down a new roost location. My fraternity bro's thought I was certifiably insane.

So yeah, if the opportunity ever arose, I'd be all over it - even if it was on the "business" end of things.

I'm one of those people that has a very obsessive personality, and if I'm focused on doing something that I enjoy, there aren't enough hours in a day for me to sink into it.