HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question about Patternmaster choke???
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 06:09 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about Patternmaster choke???

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

...but find that I have quite a few opportunities for some high shooting.
Ain't that always the case....

I have been using the modified choke from the factory and this always leaves me with cripples and runners - almost all of the time.
Really what you are looking at is one of two things. First, in my honest opinion, you ought to just let the birds work. Thats up to you. Some folks judge distance far and others near. Me personally, I am an over-shooter. I'll have a bird at 35 yards out and 50 feet up and I'll tell you he is 60 yards away and I will let him go. I guess its better to err on caution. Up to you, but some of those cripples may be just a bit too far.

Other thing is that the higher they are, the farther they are, and usually when they are cruising up high, they are going much faster than they appear. So you may be hitting them just a little bit back if you are getting a lot of cripples.

Is the extended range choke overkill at 20 - 30 yd shots? What can you guys reccommend?

Thanks
Andrew
It can be overkill. It is, after all, for extended range. Its designed for shots between 30 and 50 yards. I'd suspect that if you could catch up with one at 15-20 yards it would look like you hit him with a lawn mower.