HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Warne bases and rings
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 11:16 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Warne bases and rings

Zee Insert kit - synthetic insert that goes between the ring and the scope. Burris basically states this eliminates marring, slip, even hold across the rings and misalignment. An enhancement they feel is an alternativeto hand lapping rings. Personally I have never used Burris mounts, though I have seen them in action and they appear to be of good quality. I concur the inserts on the zee ring do add a little bit to the installation as the inserts canmove and make setting up eye relief,etc a littlemore then non insert rings. Certainly do-able for most individuals.

As far as Burris scopes I have personal experience with the Signature Series (not the LRS model). Functioned fine in a variety of conditions, good POI tracking, held zero,good light gathering/transmission and decent clarity. Though for the money they fetch north of the 49th I wasn't wowed by its optical performance either and found it to be a little critical of eye positioning. I would have kept it but had a guy who just needed oneand traded for aZeiss Conquest...no regrets on that deal.

In regards to the LRS, unless you night hunt or have really poor vision lighted reticles are of little practical use IMHO. They are heavier, require battery maint.(here that means a possibility of failure due to freezing) and electronics(aka moreto go wrong).

Never owned an SPS but have had several 700's,still my preferred action.

Good Luck

PS Wish my santa was like your