HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Vermont deer season
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 09:35 AM
SLOOC1

Default RE: Vermont deer season

My rifle season was horrible. I hunt the southern green mountains near rte 9. Anyway between my aunt and my grandmother we have over 500 acres. The acreage attachesto an area that has over 2000 acres with very little hunting pressure. The location I hunt has excellent habitat & has a great history of giving up some nice bucks for southern VT. Anyway I only saw 2 deer all season. Normally I see 6 or so deer on opening day. And consistently see the same areas with good scrapes & rubs. This year I did not see any good buck sign! I did see a couple of small hookings here and there but nothing major. I saw 2 does for 9 days of hunting. Maybe it was the conditions...the majority of the days that I did hunt I had cold dry windy conditions. Real noisy leaves & terrible swirling winds. Last year I had warmer conditions light winds & and quiter conditions due to rainy days. So that has been my year so far. I guess for black powder I will have to hunt another location...unless things drastically change. What a difference a year makes...after the bucks we had on our property last year I thougt for sure this year would be a banner. I haven't given up yet...looking forward to black powder & hopefully some good tracking snow.

Eric