HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Powerbelt 270grn. Platinum bullet performance
Old 11-28-2007, 04:31 PM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Powerbelt 270grn. Platinum bullet performance

ORIGINAL: torridone

I am new to muzzleloading and was recommended to use the powerbelt 270grn. platinum bullets. I recently have read some posts on here complaining about the performance etc. of these bullets. I shot two deer this past weekend, both at approx. 30-40yds. The doe went maybe 10 yds. and pilled up, double lung shot with pass-through. The 11pt. buck went approximately 60yds. I shot him quartering away throught the lungs, he left a good blod trial. I did not find the bullet and am assuming it was either burried in the opposite shoulder or fragmented as some have experienced. I was hoping to find it the buck has a real nice rack and is going on the wall. Moral of the story is that I killed 2 deer with these bulletes and I feel they performed well, I was using 150grs. of 777 w/CVA Kodiak rifle. In both cases the lungs were shredded. They also shot very well at the range prior to this season. Some of the poor experiences with these bullet have me nervous, what bullets do you guys recommend?
Read Cabela's Product Page here about AeroTip PB:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat200005&id=0012630214373a&navCount=1&amp ;podId=0012630214373&parentId=cat200005&ma sterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH& amp;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20000 5&hasJS=true

folks love them or they hate them.

For example:

Exploding Bullets, November 26, 2007
By Concerned777 from WI.
[/align][/align]

"Great bullets for plinking.
After using these bullets for the past 4 years, my hunting partners and myself are looking for different bullets. They are very easy to load and the accuracy is unmatched. We have shot over 20 deer in the past 4 years. All deer have been shot, standing broadside at distances from 30 yds. out to 150 yds. All deer have been recovered, and all but 1 have had NO EXIT WOUND. We are all bow hunters and shot placement is always key to harvesting game. All shots were just behind the front shoulder, so the only bones that would be hit would be the ribs. If a bullet can’t pass thru a rib without disintegrating what good are they????"

powerbelt 50 cal 245 AeroTip, October 13, 2007
By newmex
[/align][/align]

"I used this hybrid sabot for an elk hunt this Oct. I used tripple 7 50gr pellets (100grs) in my TC triumph. I have read that the bullet fragments on inpact. I would strongly disagree with this. I broke through ribs passing through the heart, both lungs, and broke ribs on the back side as well. The projectile lodge in the hide on the far side intack and mushroomed nicely witout signs of fragmentation. I shot at 40 yards; the big 5x5 elk droped with in 35 yards after inpact."

And really that is the issue, if they are pushed to hard they explode on a rib or anything hard. If you shoot light charges at broadside shots they are great. That is the bottom line, so join the "lovers or haters". Chap Gleason