HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Your worst Shot
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 02:10 PM
johnnyc531
Fork Horn

Default RE: Your worst Shot

I don't necessarily disagree with most of what you posted chronic. I'm very glad the deer didn't die somewhere never to be found and be wasted. When the deer was butcheredmy friendsaidhe found my bullet lodged in the front sholder, so it had traveled the length of the body as there was no exit wound from my shot and there was a very big blood trail and the entrance wound was the size of my fist.Knowing that, just how leathal my shot was is questionable, I'd say. Was it a good shot, no not by any means, thus the title of this post. I also radioed my two hunting companions after my shot to tell them where to go to head off the deer, as it was with two others. I hunt with a lot of different people and groups throughout the year, I just find it amazing how much the attitudes change between different people and different groups. I'm a subscriber to the teamwork ethic, some guys want to go it alone. I myself give credit to the guys withme if they happen to help put me in a positon where the deer will come towards me, or even happen to push them towards me. My brother-in-lawis the one who secured rights to hunt where we were that day,and some of his and my meat goes to the landowner every year, not a bit of themeathas come from the guy that finished off my deer the last few years. He also has a stand in a prime location and freaks out if someone wanted to use it if he wasn't hunting during acertain weekend. I on the other hand told my brother-in-law to go ahead and usemine if I'm not hunting. In fact one weekend he was up in my stand while I was hunting somewhere else and he told me where he saw deer behind it. Next weekend I saw deer behind it again. Weekend after that I decided to bring my climber based upon that info and put it 50 yards behind myhang on stand and guess what harvested my first archery season deer. I guess we are getting a bit off topic I wasn't really looking to debate the ownership of a double shot deer. I was actually interested in finding out some of the poor shots that others have put on deer and knowing if the deer had survived or not.

Here are a few othersI've seen or heard about. My brother-in-law once put an arrow in the back of the skull of a deer, needed a second arrow to kill it, deer didn't even go down after the first shot. I actually almost had forgot about it but one of the first deer I shot at with my gun 3 years ago I managed to shoot it's hoof off, It was about a 150 yard shot and the deer was moving, could tell it was dragging the foot after a few hours tracking it got onto private land. The deer was harvested the following year' It limped around a bit but had healed up and was healthy other then the stump leg.