HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ruger V. Remington
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 11:09 AM
pa257
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ruger V. Remington

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: pa257

I own two Rugers and as much as I like the looks and mauser action I would get a Remington for the reason if you ever want to get a custom rifle most buildersprefer the 700 action. At least that's what I found in my research of custom builders.
The "custom builders" who prefer a Remington action prefer it because the round receiver is much easier and faster to inlet, due to being round in cross-section. But a custom rifle should have a custom trigger, and a better safety setup than you get with a Model 700 Remington action. For a safety, I much prefer the tang type that is on the older Model 77Rugers, some Mannlicher-Schoenauers, andmanycustom rifles made in Germany....
Thanks, I always wondered why the 700 action was the prefered action. I agree that a custom gun should have a custom trigger and on most of the builders sites it appears that the trigger is replaced, don't know about the safety. I know of one that will use the Model 70 a well.

As for safeties, I like the tang on my M77 .270 but I feel that the 3-way safety is a "safer" safety, especially for hunting.

I see the Aggies beat Texas, 2 years in a row! My wife is an A&M grad ('89)and I guess she would say Gig 'em Aggies (whatever that means).