HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 243 vs 270
Thread: 243 vs 270
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Rammer
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 243 vs 270

The Remington SPS DM isn't available in Stainless, or I would have one. The regular SPS line rusts very easily. Its like a painted on finish, that isn't very durable. They do shoot very well though.
The Savage 16s are very good rifles as well. They come with Accu-Triggers, and are fully adjustable by you. The one downfall is the cheap "tupperware" stocks on them. I have a limited run model 16, with a medium heavy stainless/fluted barrel in 243, and it shoots very well. Mine has the hinged floorplate for a magazine system.

Scopes........On my Tikka 243 I have a Leupold VXII 4-12x40 with the fine crosshairs, and I absolutely love it for varmint shooting. I have all my 243s shooting 60gr Sierra HPs for varmints/coyotes. I sight in 2" high at 100 yards, and at 300 yards I can hold on the lid of a 20 ounce pop bottle full of water and hit it dead center about half way down. Its a great, flat shooting go getting coyote load. With 95gr Combined Technology BTs (the best deer load I have found for the 243) I use the same zero and can blow up 20 ounce pop bottles no problem at 300 yards.

My Savage wears a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 which is one of the best buys in rifle scopes in my opinion. You can pick them up for 260-280, and they are a tough scope, and just as good as Leupolds/Zeiss in low light. I know, because I own them all and have looked thru them all side-by-side on the same power settings.

I would probably stay away from a 3-9 power scope, and get at least a 4-12 or a 4.5-14. I had a 6-18 Nikon and it was a dog in low light, couldn't get the power low enough to gather light.

Hope this helps you out some.

Here is my savage:

My Tikka:

That coyote was a Texas Heart Shot, and no exit.