Thread: 243 vs 270
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 03:34 PM
jeepkid
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 243 vs 270

ORIGINAL: Brown Dirt Cowboy

Rammer/jeepkid,
Happy Thanksgiving - I hope you spent it with ALL of your families.
Only one question left.... Remington 700 SPS DM or Savage 16 FCSS?
I know you would say it depends on want I "like/want", but please offer pros and cons on both models.
Keep in mind, I am 5'6'' 165 Lbs using this for stalking BOTH varmint(55gr.) and "smaller" big game(100gr.).
First the Remington; 7.5 Lbs, 24" blued carbon steel barrel with 9 1/8 rate of twist
Second the Savage; 6.5 Lbs, 22" stainless steel barrel with 9 1/4 rate of twist.
Both are synthetic and both have detachable magazines.
Also recommend a scope; manufacture, model, power, size(most importantly why?).
Thanks again to the both of you for taking the time to "share" you expertise with me!!!!

..."hardly a hero, just somebody's mother might know"......................E.J.

I am a Remington guy myself. The fit and finish is nicer, the longer barrel is better (especially with the bigger bullets). Almost all full custom rifles are made from the 700 action, there are tons of aftermarket parts for them also. Some people say Savage, but I personally prefer Remingtons.

Depending on how much you want to spend on a scope. Zeiss is most likely the best "deal" for high quality optics. The Burris you were wanting would do just fine also. If you are on a tight budget, I would look at the Cabelas Tactical line. They are $150 for a 3-12x40 and come with target knobs already calibrated. I have the 6-18x40 on my .223 and it works great for a cheap scope. The Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 is most likely want I will put on my .243 AI, either that or the Zeiss, or maybe the Monarch... I just need to check them all out in person on the rifle.

Hope that helps