HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bad morning hunting great day at the range
Old 11-24-2007, 03:03 PM
jaybe
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bad morning hunting great day at the range

corey - glad to hear you got out and saw some deer. Hope you get a shot next time. Maybe if you hunt the same area, be sure to take a breather before you top the ridge, then sneak very slowly the last100 feetor so (take short steps when walking up hills).
From what I understand about your range work, it sounds to me like your rifle likes the load ok. Unless you are using a very solid rest like a Caldwell Lead Sled or in some other way are perfectly stabilizingBOTH front AND back of the rifle, your groups aren't all that bad at 100 yards. I have found that getting a sand bag under or just behind the pistol grip really tightens my groups by taking a little more of the human factor out of the equation.
I'd try pushing the load up by 10 gr until you get to about 110 or until your groups begin to get bad. Try it with all 3 of those 240-250 gr bullets, keep good records, and you should be able to determine which one will do the best on paper. Any of them should do a good job on the terminal end.

Good Luck!