HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My Opening Day NY Buck w/summer cam pics
Old 11-23-2007, 09:11 PM
farm hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default My Opening Day NY Buck w/summer cam pics

Here's My Opening day story -

This opening morning was cold & snowy - I WAY overdressed - and set up on an escape route in/out of an overgrown Apple Orchard.

Visibility was low with all the snow on the branches - and I was overheated from walking in still - and cursing my spot because I couldn't see as well as I wanted. However - I wasn't there long -and I spottedthis deer was sneaking quickly out of the orchard. It was less than 30 yds away and stopped with his head behind a group of trees, the wind was right but he stopped as if he sensed me there. I almost didn't get the shot off!!! When he started to move again- I confirmed him as a good buck and shot as he was turing to go back where he came from. You wouldn't have know I hit him at all as he ran off, and THEN I started to get nervous.

I waited 30-45 minutes then trailed him the 40 yds he ran. I never heard or saw him go down with all the snow. The bullet entered wellbehind the last rib and angled into the top of his heart - and did not exit. I was very happy, and relievedwhen I came up on him -it was a long 30 minute wait, I'm usually a little more sure of my shots than I was this time.

He weighed 175 lbs dressed out, my best buckinat least 10 years, maybe ever. The lastpictures are I think - him in velvet.

FH