HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who knows food plots?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 05:43 PM
USFWC
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who knows food plots?

If they are just grassy, then you don't necessarily need to till them up. You have a couple of options: a perennial plot (clover, chicory, etc.) or an annual plot (wheat, oats, Austrian winter peas, annual rye, etc.).

First thing to do...get a soil test, then apply what you need according to that test.

To get your perennial plot started this next year, I'd mow a perimeter around it and burn it off in January or February, then frost seed your clover/chicory mix after that. Watch it into May and mow it when the grasses are starting to go over the tops of the clover. In June, I'd mow it again at the same point then let it sit for a few days, then spray the plot with Poast herbicide...this will kill the grasses and release the clover. Watch it through the rest of the summer and mow it down every few weeks to keep it palatable...and spray it again with the Poast if you start to see the grasses coming back again.

For an annual hunting plot, in early September next year, spray the area with glyphosate, wait a few days, broadcast a mix of wheat, oats, Austrian winter peas, THEN mow. You should have a nice plot to hunt over with very little effort...my kind of plot!