HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Spotting Scopes
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 01:23 PM
eatsleephunt
Fork Horn

Default RE: Spotting Scopes

I also have good bino's. I use some Zeiss Classics' and some Sightrons', which are both 10x40-42. However, I also am big on the use of spotting scopes. I have found/judged more game using spotting scopes than I ever have with binos.

My first scope was a Bausche and Laumb (hopefully I spelled that correctly), which I purchased used at a gun show. After realizing the potential, and hunting with guys who had better scopes I upgraded to a Leupold. It's the stacked version you see in Cabela's for about $800 or so. I like it for it's clarity and the ability to pack it. I finally broke down and bought an 80mm scope this Spring though. I chose the Nikon ED for about $1,300. A friend of mine has a Swarovski 80mil that is about 12 years old, and we both agreed (albeit, him grudgingly) that my scope out-performs it at longer distances for clarity and longer veiwing in low-light conditions. The newer Swarovskis' are better, but carry a $2,600 plus price tag. If I was in the business, meaning outfitting/guide, etc. I would have coughed up the money for the best.

My Nikon is excellent and carries a great warantee similar to Swarovski. I use scopes while spring bear hunting, antelope, mule deer, and even to locate or judge whitetail and elk from a distance on summer range. It is also great to take digital pics and video through. Use the zoom on the cameras and leave the scope set to the minimum setting though. You don't necessarily need the camera attachements either. I take fine pics by simply holding my dig. camera right up to the lense. This is great for winter range and scouting pics.

While binos are the bread and butter of hunting, particularly Western big game hunting, a spotting scope will give you a clear advantage. Purchase good glass. If you buy a cheap scope you will get a headache looking through it, and it will be pretty worthless at the higher magnifications. I personally feel that for the money, Leupold's Gold Ring Compact is a great budget option. You can get them for about $400 through Cabelas. This scope is small enough to pack, yet large enough to offer clarity that your average bino will not. Get a good tripod - one that will resist vibration under windy conditions, and that you can sit behind and be comfortable glassing for hours.

Another system I find works great is to glass up critters with my 10x40's, and then field judge or pick apart surrounding terrain with my rifle scope which is 14 power. This system works well if you are in terrain that doesn't allow for a 2-3 mile spot. The big scopes (60-80mil) will allow you to locate, and even judge under most circumstances at longer ranges.