HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Importance of Tradition in hunting
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 01:13 PM
mobow

Default RE: The Importance of Tradition in hunting

I think tradition, ESPECIALLY family tradition, plays a monstrous role in deer hunting. Opening day of the firearms season is always a time that families get together, and for some, it's the only time during the year they do so.

Family, and friend, deer camps are very much traditional. As has been eluded to, killing deer is only a small part of it. Reminiscing, catching up, planning hunts, sharing stories, talking strategy.......It's all part of the scene, and vital to the future of hunting.

But I think those same traditions can be played out regardless of the weapon used. I personally bow hunt only. I haven't taken a firearm deer hunting in 2 or 3 years. But just because I hunt w/ a bow doesn't mean deer camp isn't the same. The same stories are shared, the same strategy is discussed...And the same catching up w/ family and friends is done. The weapon of choice has nothing to do w/ it.

I can see, though....how for some the weapon would be part of that tradition. To them I say carry on!