HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Importance of Tradition in hunting
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 11:49 AM
PreacherTony
Giant Nontypical

Default The Importance of Tradition in hunting

Opening day of shotgun season has come to Western NY ..... I consider myself mainly a bowhunter, and would rather bowhunt to chase deer than any other method ....... however, there is a day that supercedes all of bowhunting FOR ME ..... due to the tradition that was started with my Grandfather and continued with my Dad ..... opening day of shotgun season! For the last 25 years, that day has been one of pre-hunt togetherness, talking over strategies, reminiscing of past successful opening day hunts, my Dad allowing me to take off school, as the opener was always on a Monday, Dad letting me drink some of his coffee from an old Stanley thermos .. dented from many trips afield, hearing Dad'sgun go off, walking to his spot,and then seeing him with his coat off and his red and black flannel shirt, sleeves rolled up, and knife in hand. Going to hisground blindto have lunch with him .... next thing we know, here comes a doe ..... I take out her heart and lungs with my hero standing next to me ..... he follows the blood trail and calls me over ... there she is .....

there are so many more, but the internet has only so much space

So when some of you bowhunters say that it is so much more satisfying for you to take a deer with a bow ..... God bless you ......just know that it's ALL personal ....... I love shooting deer with a bow ...... but when I shot the 8 pointer this past Saturday's shotgun opener, I can tell you this ..... there was not one bow kill that could compare to shooting that buck, and ALL the tradition that has led up to it ........

I just wanted to share this with my friends in the bowhunting forum .... do any of you guys have similair thoughts?