HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My Field Journal (VA & NC)
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 08:58 PM
NEW61375
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Field Notes

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

That means the moon is up roughly 11 hours (in my zip) with it being almost directly overhead around 1910 (7:10 p.m.)and directly underfoot around 0715 the next morning (Nov. 20). So I am going hunting tomorrow morning and I will probably nap on stand from around 0545 until 0700, then I will wake up and shoot a buck about 0705 and call it a day. I need to get that timex hunting watch I think it figures all that out for you.
Well I was off on the time, the morning was slow and warm. But the afternnon picked up I shot this nice 6 around 2:00 p.m. at 10 yards with the .25/06 and then later on around 4:45 I had two groups of does near me and shot this one around 25 yards. What was weird was that the doe turned out to be an old button buck(120 lbs), the deers teeth were nearly worn down and his "button" were more like flattened bases, it looked real weird. Luckily I had the option touse a DMAP or an antlerlesss tag on him because his horns weren't visible above the hairline, I don't know if he was injured/sick or just old. The 6 was solid and tipped the scale at 176, he has some tiny little stubby brows (probably not scorable butI can hang a ring on em')but we see a lot of that in this area, many bucks have no brow tines at all.

I apoligize for the pics I forgot my camera and all we had was my buddys' cell phone. I didn't think I was getting any pics so I had not cleaned the deer up, sorry. The .25-06 is nothng buttrouble for Mr. Johnson and his cohert.

The 6 was RUTTING, he stunk so bad and his tarsals were soaked somuch thatthe whole back of his legs were black and sticky all the waydown to his hooves, the other bucks tarsal were a little black and took up an area about the size of a quarter, nowhere near as ripe as the 6 but he still smelled a bit. Cold front this weekend I'll be back at it, maybe in NC or on the farm.

Weather Today/Eastern Shore---Temp. H 62-L 44-----Winds out of S & SW from 2-8 mph. Moonrose around2:00 p.m. and was directlyover head around6 or 7and was forecast to set around 1:55 a.m., didn't see much deer movement til after 2:00......interesting.