HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Browning or Tikka
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 06:22 PM
ppodpearson
Spike

Default RE: Browning or Tikka

I bought a Tikka T3 in August and it cost me a big bull elk this year, but it was not the rifles fault. The rifle is a 30-06 tack driver with my handloads. Don't know what it will do with factory loads.
I was sneaking along a path when a bunch of cows and calvesstepped out and I saw a large 5X6 bull in the group about 75 yards away. They had no idea I was there. The cows milled around the bull and I held my crosshairs way high as I waited for an oportunity. Eventually the cows moved, the bull turned for a perfect broadside shot, looked the other direction and, I swear, waited for me to shoot. This was a great bull, with a perfect chance at a shot, on a perfect day. As I started bringing my crosshairs down and felling for the trigger, BANG! Yup, it was me. I wasn't quite comfortable with how light the trigger was, and with no creep. Nothing like the Model 70 Featherweight I used to shoot. Well, I shot over the elk and he went merrily on his way as I watched. I wasn't comfortable with the moving target he offered my so I just waved him good bye and figured he earned another point this year.
I learned that I need to practice a little (or a lot)more with this rifle. Maybe do a little coyote hunting with it and maybe tighten the trigger just a little. The Tikka is a great rifle. Like with any rifle, just need to learn its differences.
I didn't get an elk, but just seeing my shot of a lifetime made it a great outing. I had canned stew that night and pretended it was elk liver.