HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sould This Buck Be Culled?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Remnard
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sould This Buck Be Culled?

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

There was a very good article I read a while back about deer genetics, might have been by Kroll, but in any case, in a long term study with quite a large number of deer involved, they found thatby age 5-6 years the spike and forked 1.5 year-old bucks produced just as good racks as the basket eight pointers. Now, it's hard to say whether or not your buck in question has a malformation on that side, or if is just weak for this year due to development. I'd let him have another year before making a decision as he may very well even out on that side.
I agree Wait another year. There's too many documented cases of cull bucks that were left to walk and turned in to B&C class animals. If you shoot him he'll never get bigger, It might be a trait from a car accident or something and may grow normal next year or turn in to some awesome nontypical in years to come. Also just because he has an isue with his antlers doesnt mean his offspring will. I have read that antler traits are just as likely to come from the doe as they are from the buck sire anyway. How are you going to cull the bad does that are producing inferior antlers?