HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who knows food plots?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Scott/IL
Nontypical Buck

Default Who knows food plots?

Here's our situation....

My family has a 365 acre farm. It is pretty close to 50% woods and 50% tillable.Part of that tillable is old grown up hog pastures that is not used by the farmer. Some deer bed in here, but it is also not really thick just kind of grassy.

All the fields are empty usually by October, so after that the deer have ZERO food sources except for acorns and a few percimmons.

Me and my cousin have been thinking about putting in some food plots in the old grown up pastures. Some problems to arise though.
1) We can only get any type of equipment in there while no crops are in the ground.
2) $$$$$$
3) These spots are not big, and there are fences that surround all entry to them. We MIGHT be able to take the fences down but were not sure. One spot is impossible to get to and would have to be tilled up by a garden tiller.

Again these spots are not big, but they cannot be reached easily while the crops are in the ground. We thought about clover, but we wouldn't be able to get a mower in to mow it during most of the year.

Anyone have any suggestions that may not be to costly. We just want something that will help hold some deer on the property. We haveother areas that offer GREAT bedding area, but not enough food.It is possible that we may make the other guys that hunt there pitch in some moneyif they want to hunt next to them.