HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Patches??
Thread: Patches??
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Mossie
Fork Horn

Default RE: Patches??

I have been shooting roundball flintlocks for many years. I test and try different stuff just to see what works in my rifles and what does not and it still amazes me to this day how changing just 1 component of the load results to dramatic differences in some rifles. I have always had better results with Goex 2f in my rifles over 3f and could not understand why; the reason I have just recently been informed of is that my rifles are flintlocks and the ignition characteristics are different than those of caplocks; many of which have much better performance with 3f.

I use Criso lube on my patches because of all the things I have tried Crisco delivers the absolute best accuracy in my TC 1/66 twist .010 depth of groove.50 caliber barrels. Crisco has drawbacks with extreme hot weater and extreme cold weater but other than that it remains pliabe and does not run out. I have tried over two dozen commercial lubes and homebrews and none compare to the tack driving consistency in my rifles. One lube and solvent combination that I have yet to try, but intend to is Hoppe's Black Powder lube/solvent; It gets good recommendation from some very good traditional shooters.

I have also went from store bought patches, to bulk material and hand cutting my patches; to my current method of cutting at the muzzle. My suggustion is to buy your patch material in yards, tear/cut it into strips and cut at the muzzle for the best accuracy.