HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Patches??
Thread: Patches??
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 01:51 PM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Patches??

English...Go to WalMart and buy a yard of red cotton pillow ticking, it's .018 thick, wash and dry in the dryer to help remove the starch and sizing...

For 25 years or so, I lubed with SnoSeal, it worked fine...This past summer I made my own, I melted 2 parts bees wax, 8 parts castor oil and 2 parts Murphy's Oil soap...This is a mix I picked up at www.muzzleloading.com

I cut the pillow ticking into strips, about 1 1/4 inches wide...Place on newspaper, take a putty knife and spread both sides with the lube, roll the patching up and put in a microwave for about 20 seconds...I keep a roll inside my patchbox and load my loading block up with the others...I just seat the ball flush with the block (or muzzle of the rifle), take my knife and cut off the excess...The beauty of this, you don't have to worry about centering the ball on a round pre cut patch...

Some guys just cut square patches and the accuracy is fine...I never worry about the excess as the patch falls off quickly after leaving the muzzle...