HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My Field Journal (VA & NC)
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 08:17 PM
NEW61375
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Field Notes

This is from the other day:
(click link)

Bucks in Rut

Nov. 17 2007

Opening day in VA for general firearms. I wanted to hunt the Eastern Shore but I couldn't make the trip this weekend. I made plans to hunt with my dad at the farm and the weather was great(overnight low of 27 and a NW wind). We hunted hard all morning with no luck and then a decent buck crossed our back field at about 1130. Well how can I put this.....I missed. It's ok, we had a good time, split some firewood, and hunted til dark.I saw a doe right before dark and theywere in today in the county I was hunting but I have a feeling the end of the month will provide enough does, The county I hunt in Eastern Shore is a rifle county and does arein all season plus DMAPs andin Chesapeake and Va Beach the last 6 days Nov 24-30 are doe days plus the areas I hunt there have DMAPsas well. With the general firearm ending in those two counties on Nov 30 that means it's almost time for bow season again, Dec. 2 - Jan. 5 (Ches. / VA Beach).

My buddy Jack killed his second buck today on the Shore a nice 8 with some junk on the back of the bases,the 8and another buck were chasing a doe at 0930 this morning. I will add pic later.

**Here is one for now. I have some from in the field I will get soon.**

Notice the bucks right eye is swollen from fighting, he also had gashes on his neck and hams.

**Dates for next season**

Oct. 13-31 (Heavy scrapes & rubs lots of deer movement, saw several bucks, mostly young, pre-rut)

Nov. 1-10 (Sightings seemed to slow but still saw signs of pre-rutting activity)

Nov. 11-? (Bucks with does, fighting over does, hung up on fences, etc. rutting hardIMO)

Another weather roller coaster forecast forthis week(Nov. 18-24), temps. back up in the 70's by mid week then dropping again by the weekend, they did the same thing earlier in the month and the daytime activity seemed to slow. Nov. 19-30 the moon wil go from about half (Nov. 19)to full (Nov. 24) to about half again on (Nov 30). Also, watch Moon rise/set times i.e the moon is up a lot during the day recently and over the next week which could make for dark nights and improved daylight activity, who knows.