HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone have a cool deer stand? (Need ideas!)
Old 11-16-2007, 10:06 PM
FtWorthHunter

Default RE: Anyone have a cool deer stand? (Need ideas!)

I don't have pictures, but have had the opportunity to hunt out of some pretty unique stands. One is on a place I still hunt and I get in it occasionally when it's really cold. It's three stories tall, sits on top of a hill, is made of steel, a concrete foundation holding the legs, a stair case up to it, with a steel balcony that surrounds it on 3 sides. Inside is 10x12 and obviously roomy. It even has a grill hanging off the side of the balcony just for looks. Not real practical, but you can see for miles out of it.

The other I've been in is maybe even worse, but it is on skids. It's the top of an old silo, cut down to maybe 15 feet tall. Carpeted, soundproofed with cork, has running electricity via solar panals on the roof, has a tv, a fan, a gas heater, cell phone chargers, two-way radio, and a stereo, and the last piece: DirecTV (but you have to flip on the generator to get it all powered at times). Then, there is a laddar on one side that goes up to a loft in the top part with a futon.

I've "hunted" out of the 2nd stand twice and fell asleep both times.

Personally, I prefer tree stands, tripods, and the occasional pop-up in wet weather. I just like being able to hear everything I can around me.