HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you guys stay calm??
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do you guys stay calm??

i cant describe it...but i go into what i call "kill mode" i dont focus on anything but making the shot. after i verify the game is something i want to kill, i dont focus on anything except making the shot...yardage, shooting lane, drawing, settling the pin, letting loose...

ive never really got the shakes before the shot...ive always been able to make the shot, then usually break down..even at age 12 taking my first deer with a guy that never hunted with me...he was surprised how rock calm i was...then after the shot he thought i was gunna pass out.

one thing that helps me i believe is the fact that ive had a TON of deer up close and personal throughout life...seeing a deer doesnt shock me like it does some people...having a deer up close and personal is nothing new...

my advice...get out and get deer close any time you can...then when hunting focus on making the shot..dont let your nerves take over...focus is key...but you have to get over that initial never jump..i'll admit..catching a glimpse of a deer for the first time still gets me jumpy and shakey and heart beating, but after that initial jump im a rock...

another thing that i think may help is the countless times ive pulled the trigger on other critters throughout life...i dont know..