HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - SMOKING and PEEING out of your stand does NOT affect your hunt!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Hoytail Hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default SMOKING and PEEING out of your stand does NOT affect your hunt!!!

...that is of course according to the unpopular belief of a few hunting buddies/aquaintences of mine.

They will smoke, piss, hack, and cough out of their stands. Their reasoning is that their cousins do it all the time and they kill deer almost every year.Also that if the wind is not blowing the smell towards the shooting lanes then it's fine because "they'll never know." I tried explaining that that doesn't matter because later that night or the next day when you're not there and the wind is blowing from a different direction, the deer will know that you've been there. Also tried giving them the example of how a blood hound can follow a 3 day old trail and that since canines are natural predators of deer, that a deer's nose is probably as good if not betterby design but they just don't want to understand.

They alsotrample all over the place sometimes before getting on stand. I triedtelling themthat if you trample all over your shooting lanes, deer are never going to step there for you to shoot them. Brace yourself for this... The leader of the above practices said "it's ok as long as you put doe estrous in the area so the bucks will be more interested in the estrous than your scent." HUH? Oh btw, they've also been trying to use estrous since early October. They also bait a brand new hunting spot then climb a tree thinking deer will come to it that veryafternoon. That's just hilarious.

Just to make a point and not to toot my horn but none of the 3 guys above havekilled a single deer this year while I have one antlerless and a 9-pointer under the belt. Some people will never get it. And, I wouldn't care so much to try to educate them except that I share the same woods with them so I gotta help keep the adulteration of those woods to a minimum.

Thanks for letting me vent, got any stupid people stories you'd like to share?